THE COTTON PALACE BED AND BREAKFAST BAKED BLUEBERRY-PECAN FRENCH TOAST
from the kitchen of Allison Wise, makes 8 servings
• One baguette (4-5 cups cubed bread)
• 6 large eggs
• 3 cups milk
• 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 cup pecans (course chopped)
• 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
• 1⁄4 cup butter
• 4 ounces cream cheese (optional) Try it, you’ll love it!
1. Butter a 13”x9” baking dish. Cut bread up into 1” cubes and arrange in bottom of baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla and 3⁄4 cup of the brown sugar.
3. Pour evenly over bread. Cover and chill mixture until all the liquid is absorbed by the bread, at least 8 hours,
and up to 1 day.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
5. Toast pecans in microwave or oven until slightly darkened and fragrant.
6. Sprinkle toasted pecans and blueberries over the bread mixture.
7. Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in 1⁄4 of the remaining brown sugar until dissolved.
8. Drizzle butter/sugar mixture over the bread.
9. Pinch off little pieces of the cream cheese and place on top
10. Bake for 45 minutes or until berries are bubbling and bread/egg looks set.
11. Let rest for 10 minutes.
12. Cut and serve with maple syrup